Monday, June 27, 2011

Seth Godin's Improved Orwell

I read Seth Godin's revised Orwellian writing rules in my feed this morning and thought, I want to save this forever, how can I do that? Yeah, it was before coffee. But these are awesome. (I would have cut more from #3, though -- what's the point of those "out"s?

1. Never use a metaphor, simile, or other figure of speech which you are used to seeing in print. You don't need cliches.

2. Never use a long word where a short one will do. Avoid long words.

3. If it is possible to cut a word out, always cut it out.

4. Never use the passive where you can use the active. Write in the now.

5. Never use a foreign phrase, a scientific word or a jargon word if you can think of an everyday English equivalent. When in doubt, say it clearly.

6. Break any of these rules sooner than say anything outright barbarous. Better to be interesting than to follow these rules.

No comments:

Post a Comment